Celery is a powerhouse of an herb. It’s packed with fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and many other nutrients that benefit the body in numerous ways. For example, celery helps lower blood pressure and improves cholesterol levels. Here are the top 10 reasons to drink celery juice for high blood pressure every day.
Celery, also known as Apium graveolens, is a medical herb used as a food and in traditional medicine. It is a hypocotyl (the stem near the ground) of a plant in thefamily Apiaceae. Celery is related to parsley, rocket and romaine lettuce.
What is High Blood pressure ?
High blood pressure is a medical condition in which the blood vessels that carry blood away from the heart become enlarged. This can lead to damage to organs and tissues, including the brain and kidneys. High blood pressure is often accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as dizziness, difficulty breathing, chest pain or anxiety. If left untreated, high blood pressure can increase your risk of stroke, heart attack or death.
Benefits of Drinking Celery Juice for High Blood Pressure
If you are suffering from high blood pressure, you might want to consider drinking celery juice. It’s easy to prepare and it has no side effects.
1. Celery juice can help reduce blood pressure by helping to keep your arteries wide open and preventing plaque from building up in them.
2. Celery is also a very low- Sodium food, which can help prevent hypertension and stroke.
3. In addition, celery juice has been shown to improve cholesterol levels, as it contains compounds that are believed to work together with insulin in breaking down bad cholesterol deposits in the body.
4. Celery juice is also a rich source of antioxidants, which can protect cells from damage and may play a role in lowering the risk of heart disease.
5. It has also been suggested that celery juice helps to improve cognitive function by helping to reduce inflammation in the brain and treating conditions like Alzheimer’s Disease (AD).
6. Finally, celery juice is packed with vitamins A and C, both of which are important for maintaining a healthy immune system.
7. Celery contains a phytochemical called phthalides. As an extract, it’s called NBP, and it relaxes the tissues of the artery walls to increase blood flow and reduce blood pressure.( Source article)
8. Mean systolic blood pressure was lower after than before celery juice administration, and it was statistically significant (P<0.05).
9. Celery is rich in potassium. Potassium within the diet has been shown to help control blood pressure levels, partially because it lessens the effects of sodium Potassium is an essential nutrient that is needed for the maintenance of total body fluid, acid and electrolyte balance, and normal cell function.
10. The celery seed extract has shown an antihypertensive property that appears to be attributable to its active hydrophobic constituents effect.
How to make Celery Juice ?
There are many ways to make celery juice. You can follow the one most suitable for your lifestyle and climatic conditions.
How to make celery juice in Juicer ?
Peel and chop the celery into small pieces, then soak it in water for 30 minutes or overnight. After soaking, drain the water and place the celery into a juicer. Blend them well and add water if required and drink immediately.
How to make celery juice in blender ?
The easiest way to make celery juice in a blender is to cut the stalk off the celery, peel it and chop it into small pieces. Add the celery pieces and all of its juices to a blender and blend until smooth.Drink immediately.
While celery juice is well known for its healing properties, there are many other benefits that you might not know about. Celery juice can decrease high blood pressure and increase the levels of good cholesterol in your body. It also contains vitamins A, C, E, K and B6 which improve immunity and protect the liver from damage. If you’re looking to lower your blood pressure or prevent it from rising in the first place, celery juice could be a great choice for you!
Let us know if you have any queries regarding this article!
Disclaimer : The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not substitue medical advice .
Please consult with a healthcare professional before starting any home remedy.
- The Effect of Celery Juice on Blood Pressure among Hypertensive Patients in Bakalan Village, Kalinyamatan, Jepara, Central Java
- Blood Pressure Change After Celery Juice Ingestion in a Hypertensive Elderly Male.